This post includes:
- The potential sighting photos
- The visual timeline
- Video of the September 12, 2014 press conference
- A summary of details from the press conference
- Google Map links to timeline / sighting locations
- Locations of interest
- Links to updates and tip hotlines
Video of the press conference can be found here.
Timeline of events on the night of Derek’s disappearance
August 5, 2014
10:34pm – Derek visits Vons at 1342 N. Alvarado. Withdraws $200 from an ATM. Purchases cereal and milk.
11:15pm – Derek makes some edits on his computer.
11:34pm – Derek drives to a friend’s house on the 1000 block of Wilshire to return keys. He leaves the keys at the front desk, then returns home.
11:54pm – Derek makes a $2999 payment via iPhone to repay a school loan from a friend.
11:58pm – Derek seen on camera walking by the 76 Gas Station at 2035 Sunset Blvd on foot, Northbound on Alvarado Street.
August 6, 2014
12:02am – Derek last seen on camera walking Northbound on Alvarado Street, outside the Lemon Frog shop at 1202 N. Alvarado.
Derek is not seen further North on Alvarado between 12am and 6am. It’s likely he took a bus or some other form of transportation.
This map combines many of the above points in a single map.
A visual timeline of events:
September 5, 2014 – LAPD releases photo of man bearing some resemblance to Derek on an LA Metro bus. The man appears thinner, perhaps beaten.
September 9, 2014 – After a story about Derek is published on NBC San Diego’s website, a tip is received from someone who believes they saw a person resembling Derek “shuffling his feet as he walked” along PCH in the Cardiff by the Sea area of San Diego approximately 2 weeks prior (around August 26). This lead was deemed significant, as Derek suffered from plantar fasciitis.
Locations of interest
- Atlanta. Derek was scheduled for an anesthesia rotation in October of 2014.
- Half Dome, Yosemite. Derek climbed on June 22, 2014. Climbed with sandals and minimal supplies. This was one of his favorite places.
- Mexico/International. However, because Derek did not have his passport, we do not suspect that a flight was possible.
- Riverside/San Bernardino County. Derek and his friends often went camping in San Bernardino County
- Big Bear & Lake Arrowhead. Derek loved the mountains and water in these areas and often went hiking alone and with friends.
- Palm Springs. Derek did a family medicine rotation in Palm Springs in February 2014.
- San Diego. Derek loved to surf and spent a great deal of time surfing in San Diego, even in the weeks leading up to his disappearance. Derek previously camped at Agua Caliente. One of Derek’s close friends is currently working in San Diego, and Deek had planned to visit him this month. He had also discussed moving to San Diego to live in Mission Beach.
- San Francisco. Derek was scheduled for anesthesia rotation in late-September / early-October 2014.
- Santa Barbara. Derek did an internal medicine rotation in Santa Barbara in July 2014.
If you would like to help in efforts to locate Derek, a downloadable poster is available here.
Tip hotlines & case updates:
LAPD Missing Persons Unit: (213) 996-1801
Martin Investigative Services: (800) 577-1080
Follow the latest posts tagged with Derek Seehausen.