What people often expect from my private investigative agency is usually informed by what they’ve seen private investigators do in movies and on TV.
The problem is that I very rarely see an accurate Hollywood portrayal of private investigators. I’ve written about this quite a bit. Most movies and TV shows feature what I would consider a “career case” on every single episode, with PI’s discharging firearms at will and with no consequence.
At one point I was offered a “reality” show about PI’s. I ended up turning that down when the producers insisted I embellish reality with some inappropriate casting.
The point is, since people’s ideas of private investigators don’t often align with the reality of what we do, many of the services rendered by private investigative agencies can be puzzling and difficult to navigate.
But really, everything should be very straight-forward and transparent.
To that point, this post will serve to address the five most common services rendered by the top investigative agencies in the United States.
I’ll define those services, explain what we provide to the client, provide the time frame for completion and (most importantly for many clients) tell you how much each service costs. Finally, I will provide you our different websites that provide further information about each service.
As of November 2020, the five most common requests our agency receives are for the following services:
I’ll explain each of these below.
- Twenty year address history
- Obtaining or confirming the subject’s SS# and date of birth
- Name of anyone using the subject’s SS# or date of birth including that person’s address
- All Statewide Real Property
- U.S. Consumer Public Filing Index which includes bankruptcies, notice of defaults, judgments, tax liens and problems with the IRS
- Corporate and Limited Partnership information
- Uniform Commercial Code Index information
- Civil (plaintiff and defendant) and Criminal (Felonies and Misdemeanors) records
- Fictitious Business Name index
- Professional Licensing
- Name and addresses of neighbors and businesses for interview purposes when applicable
- Date of Death index
Pricing: Using our own system, we charge $950.00 to complete a personal profile on the subject.
Time frame: The reports are completed within 24-48 hours and sent to you via Federal Express.
More info: See the background checks page on the Martin Investigative Services web site.